Sunday, February 28, 2010

Operation: Where is the hot water?

It's been awhile since we've done an update on the remodel. The main reason for that is because we took a bit of a break from working on the house from about the middle of January to the middle of February. After the first part of the remodel in November and December, followed by the holidays, our wallets needed a break!


The final straw came during the second week of January when I decided to tackle the issues we'd been having with the hot water heater. When we moved into the house, we noticed that despite the fact we had an 80-gallon hot water heater, we only had enough hot water for one ten minute shower. Assuming it just needed new elements, I picked some up at Lowe's one morning and proceeded to drain the tank and go to work. Well, once I had it drained and torn apart, I look inside and see the bottom of the tank is covered in sediment, the elements are covered in mineral deposits, the dip tube is broken off and the poor old thing was just looking generally haggered. After realizing this, I said "screw it, I'm just gonna buy a new hot water tank!" So I did.

Luckily, my buddy Austin was hanging out with me that day so I had some help to drag the old hot water heater out of the house and then drag the new one in (not to mention the use of his A4 Avant to get the new one home from Lowe's). Now we have a shiny, new, energy-efficient hot water heater. All hail my manliness. And Austin's manliness too (you happy now Austin? =P).

Also, as an added bonus our electric bill dropped significantly last month. This new hot water heater will probably pay for itself in under a year!

No comments:

Post a Comment