Thursday, July 29, 2010

What we do when we're not slaving away on the house

Sometimes you just need to take a break!  Sarah and I have been working out little butts off on the house for almost 9 months now, and frankly, we needed a rest.  And what's a better way to relax and blow off some steam than to go and beat the snot out of your car on the race track!?

The weekend of July 17-18 was one of my favorite summertime events: the WaterWerks German Car Show.  Anyone who knows me knows I'm a huge car nerd, particularly when it comes to German cars; and especially when it comes to Volkswagens and Audis, which is what this show caters to.

Since I sold my red Audi a few months back, I had nothing to put in the show this year (it was time to give the other Audis a chance for 1st place anyway, hehehe).  So, instead of showing, I decided to put the S4 through its paces on the autocross course.  Lucky for me, I have a wonderful fiance who also shares my love of cars and Sarah said she wanted to race too.  So, bright and early Saturday morning we woke up, washed the cars and then hit the road to Cheney Stadium in Tacoma.

For those not familiar with autocrossing, it's a form of racing that usually takes place in large, flat parking lots (like at stadiums or shopping malls).  Setup on the parking lot is a course--marked with cones--that is around 1/3 mile long full of sweeping turns, slaloms, hairpin turns and other "obstacles" that require a lot of technical driving skill.  There is a lot of throttle/brake/clutch action going on for the short time you're on the track.  In autocross you are racing against the clock, not other cars, so there's only one car on the track at a time trying to get the fastest time through the course.

This was my first time doing this kind of racing, and it was Sarah's first time doing any kind of racing at all, and by the time we were done with our first runs we were hooked!  We had a blast and we can't wait for our next track day!

Sarah looked like a pro by the end of the day:

Me waiting for my time slip after a run.  S4s are big, heavy cars and NOT made for autocrossing.  They are happier on larger, faster tracks where they can stretch their legs and let the turbos spool.  Sarah's car on the other hand, is very much at home on a small, technical course like this and ripping the course up (the hot chick driving it had something to do with that too!).

Sarah ripping through the cones in her M Roadster.

Sarah's BMW had some engine troubles after later in the day, so we had to park it (don't worry, nothing major!).  With her car out for the day, she hopped in my car with me for a few runs until the guy with the track-prepped 993 Porsche stole her from me. Luckily, he brought her back though.

No comments:

Post a Comment