Sunday, May 2, 2010

More work in the yard

While we're waiting for the new floors to arrive, I've turned my attention to the front yard. A few posts back, I updated you on the beginnings of that project. Since then, I've made a pretty decent amount of progress. The first part of the retaining wall is now complete and I've filled it in with about three cubic yards of dirt. I still need to bring in another yard or so of good topsoil to really level everything out before I lay down the new sod though.

Looking pretty good, huh?

Here's a good detail shot of the retaining wall. The black fabric you see along the top is a weed blocker that will help keep weeds from growing through the rock. It also helps keep the dirt from leaching out when it rains. It will be hidden once I lay the sod. I still need to pressure wash everything to get rid of the moss and dirt from the blocks. It will look pretty much new once I do that.


Talk about increased curb appeal! Can't wait until we can paint the place in a couple months.


While I'm talking about the yard, our neighbors across the street (Barry and Pat) deserve a huge THANK YOU. The entire transformation of the front yard has essentially been free for us since it just so happens that they were digging up and redoing their back yard at the same time we decided to tackle our front yard. All of the stones for the retaining wall came from their yard, as well as all the fill dirt I needed. We totally lucked out on this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment